Thursday 16 October 2014

TOTA - Part Six - His Future (ARC 2: The Past)

Refusing to give up on understanding their father, they obeyed, and concentrated more on their studies, as father instructed them to. Although they could have improved from their education, they instead made themselves more miserable, hoping that their parents will understand their plight.

But at last, the children themselves gave up, and returned to their old ways. Will their father be so much of an expecting robot to punish them? Or will he himself think again?
Even their tyrannical father has a mind, for without it, why would he have forced his children to the threshold of excellence to such a constrained degree?

They expected him to be someone akin a robot, who thinks only of punishing children and working for work and work, and nothing else. Is there any humanity in him?

Surely there is.

--&--

Finally, Father has finally allowed his children to wind down and relax, upset by what his children have become. Surely he himself wanted his children to be good, to avoid repeating his mistakes, and to ensure that they become better people than him -- all of this is what he had told them, right?

But he, after mending his relations with his distraught children, decided to invite them to listen to his account:

'When I was your age, my kids, there was much to enjoy for me, more than what you might have enjoyed right now. My parents had not restricted me as much as I did towards you for the past three years, and I was much more relaxed than you: I spent much of my time on TV, those "consoles", and on comic books, and sometimes on going out with friends to the cinema or for basketball.

'But over time, I became so obsessed in my hobbies, that I became lazier and lazier. Then came the punishments, starting from the groundings, leading suddenly up to my parents' taking away of my privileges, just as they warned me earlier. Then I was placed into the care of several tutors, where the intensive schedules and classes turned me from the naughty boy I was into the hard-earning nerd of today.

'Even though I have apologised to my parents, having realised all the trouble I had brought to my family, inwardly, I never forgave them. I may have been the office worker of today, disciplined and concentrated -- but I hated them within for taking me out of my own little world.

'I have told you earlier that I gave you all such a hard time to make sure that you all will not become as bad as me during my lazy old days. But there is another reason why I, regrettably, did so: ... '

As the father spoke on, his words were broken by his sobs. His wife, watching by the door, shed tears with him -- she had already learned about it during a visit by the children's grandparents.

' ... I want to show my parents how much it's like for them to see their threats become real.'

His face shimmered red with his long-buried anger, directed at the very ones who raised him to be the miserable workaholic he was.

'I want them to see how's it like to take away my old world. My dreams, my wishes, all gone for worthless education and trash!'

Perhaps that is why his early adulthood became miserable, right?

He paused, and wept for a while, as his wife and children tried to console him.

'Sorry, all, for what I've said. I hope you're not bored.'

No comments:

Post a Comment